- This event has passed.
One Take Super 8 🎬 Registration
Register now for the One Take Super 8 Event and have your short retro analogue film screened live on cinematic celluloid at the Metro Studio Theatre!
Spots are limited for this fun, non-competitive, community-driven filmmaking and screening opportunity for curious newbies, hobbyists, artists, or even professional filmmakers — no experience necessary.
Super 8 film took the world by storm in the 1960s and 70s as an accessible way to make “home movies.” Today, the format remains an analogue escape from our digital world. The One Take Super 8 Event began over 20 years ago in Regina, Saskatchewan — since then it has inspired the creation and screening of thousands of films in more than 50 locations around the world. CineVic proudly brings OTS8 back again for its fourth edition on Vancouver Island.
This is an open call for YOU to participate. Discover the nostalgia and joy of celluloid film by making your own 3-minute Super 8 movie!
Registration is restricted to Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands area, as participants will need to access the film, camera, and local screening in Victoria BC.
Monday July 31st 2023
$35 CineVic Members
Please note registrations are now full.
• One Super 8 film cartridge, your choice of colour or black & white, approximately 3 minutes long
• Access to a Super 8 camera from CineVic for one week (or use your own)
• Watch a Super 8 webinar recording, to learn some “one-take” tips and tricks
• Film processing and digital scan, copies provided to you after the screening
• Public screening event in October 2023
• Artist screening fee (yes, we pay you to show your work!)
What does “one-take” mean?
• You may choose to film your movie in one continuous shot, or plan it all out scene-by-scene, or simply create a collage of images.
• No editing and no re-takes. If you film it, we see it — in the same order it was shot.
• Super 8 film does not record sound. You are encouraged to create and submit a separate digital soundtrack that will be played alongside the film projection. Please note this will be a live, manual process and sound might not sync perfectly with your images during the screening. Silent films are okay too!
• No peeking – you will see your finished film for the first time along with the audience and other filmmakers.
Have a Super 8 Summer!
Cameras will be available after your registration is submitted and approved, for one-week loan periods until September 7th. All CineVic camera bookings are available on a first-come first-serve basis. After your registration form and payment are complete, we will contact you to arrange pickup of your film cartridge and camera from CineVic headquarters in downtown Victoria. Cameras may also be borrowed from elsewhere, or dig your own out of that box in the basement!
Timeline of important dates:
• Monday July 31st 2023: Registration Deadline
• Thursday September 7th 2023: Deadline for returning all films and cameras to CineVic (no extensions!)
• Monday October 9th 2023: Deadline for submitting digital soundtrack file (encouraged but not required)
• Friday October 20th + Saturday October 21st 2023: Public screening premiere in Victoria!
Please note: Films must be submitted by the deadline, as they will immediately be shipped away for processing that same day. Late films will not be processed or screened, and your artist screening fee will be forfeited.
Please note registrations are now full.
Here are a few stills from last year’s entries:
Thank you to our event sponsors:
Niagara Custom Lab
MediaNet / FLUX Gallery
Antimatter Media Art Festival
CineVic acknowledges and respects the long history of the Lək̓ʷəŋən-speaking people, now known as the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations, on whose traditional and unceded territory we carry out our activities.
CineVic gratefully acknowledges the financial assistance of the Canada Council for the Arts, Province of British Columbia, British Columbia Arts Council, and the CRD Arts & Culture Support Service.