Talent to Watch
CineVic is pleased to return as an Industry Partner in the 2023 Telefilm Talent to Watch program! Current members can apply for up to $250,000 toward production of fiction feature films or $150,000 for theatrical documentaries.
Scroll down for 2023 program information
To date, 7 teams of CineVic members have been successful in this program and received Telefilm funding:
All-in Madonna (Arnold Lim, Ana de Lara, Susie Winters)
Esluna: The Crown of Babylon (Denver Jackson, Daniel Hogg)
Best Friend Me (Ana de Lara, Arnold Lim, Andy Swallow)
The Devout (Connor Gaston, Daniel Hogg, Amanda Verhagen)
Two 4 One (Maureen Bradley, Daniel Hogg)
The Hollow Child (Jeremy Lutter, Jocelyn Russell, Ben Rollo)
Q (Benjamin Musgrave, Dawn Bird, Dustin Griffin)
As CineVic is the only Industry Partner in the Victoria region, this is a highly competitive program -- but well worth the effort with great odds at success!
• START by visiting the Talent to Watch website to read all the updated Program Guidelines, Essential Information Guide, List of Required Documents, and more.
• THEN make sure your CineVic Membership is up to date, and read more below for info on how to apply through CineVic.
Deadline for Members to Apply to CineVic:
April 10th, 2023
Notification of CineVic's Recommended Applicants:
April 21st, 2023
Deadline for Recommended Applicants to Apply to Telefilm:
May 1st, 2023
Telefilm Talent to Watch Webinar
March 28th, 2023
French session @ 7:00am PT
English session @ 11:00am PT
Important points to remember:
• CineVic is a designated partner under the Industry Partner Stream. (To inquire about the Festival Selection Stream or the Filmmaker Apply-Direct Stream, please contact Telefilm directly.)
• This program has two stages:
Recommendation stage: Applicants apply directly to CineVic, and our independent jury selects up to three projects to recommend to Telefilm -- one in the Main component, one in the Indigenous component, and one in the Official Language Minority Community (OLMC) component.
Application stage: *New this year* Applicants recommended by CineVic must then submit their own applications, along with CineVic's letter of recommendation, directly to Telefilm via the Dialogue portal.
• ALL key members of submitted projects (Director, Producer, Writer) must be emerging talent. Please see Telefilm's program guidelines for the definition of what qualifies as emerging talent.
• ALL key members of submitted projects (Director, Producer, Writer) must be current members of CineVic. The Director must be a Production Member, while the Producer and Writer may be General or Community Members. Click here to activate or renew your membership, or contact us to check the status of your membership.
• CineVic will provide in-kind (free) equipment rental for member projects that are ultimately funded by Telefilm and go into production. Therefore you should include a realistic dollar amount of in-kind equipment rental from CineVic as both revenue and expense items in your budget.
• Applications will be assessed by an independent jury of assessors, made up of Talent to Watch alumni. Assessors will rank applications according to evaluation criteria outlined in Telefilm's program guidelines. CineVic will prioritize projects submitted from members residing in the Vancouver Island and Gulf Islands region.
• CineVic will make our selections and may choose to offer feedback to the selected applicants before they submit their projects to Telefilm.
• Please note the May 1st deadline mentioned on Telefilm's website is the deadline for recommended applicants to submit to Telefilm. Your deadline to apply to CineVic is April 10th.
To apply, send ONE LINK to a cloud folder containing all of the required application items to [email protected] BEFORE 11:59pm PT on Monday April 10th 2023.
CineVic Member films funded through this program:
Esluna: The Crown of Babylon
The Hollow Child
Two 4 One