- This event has passed.
Film Slam! 48-Hour Filmmaking Challenge
June 11, 2021 @ 6:00 pm - June 13, 2021 @ 6:00 pm
The 48 Film Festival (aka. The 48) is a brand new Canada-wide short filmmaking challenge and festival spearheaded by Ben Williams and Guy Maddin. For one weekend, participants will write, shoot, direct, score, edit and finish a short film in 48 hours.
For filmmakers on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands, CineVic is resurrecting the Film Slam name from our time-crunch filmmaking challenges in the early 2000s.
Filmmakers who register and complete their film by the deadline will be screened locally in each participating province and territory, then the top 2 films selected from each province and territory will appear together on the big screen at the TIFF Bell Lightbox in Toronto in March 2022.
• Limited spots available!
• Individuals or teams may register to make a film.
• Finished film can be up to 4 minutes maximum running time including credits.
• Filmmakers who submit a finished film by the deadline will be included in the online screening and will receive an artist screening fee.
• Equipment and insurance are not provided but our rentals are first-come first-served. Be sure to book your gear after registering!
• At the start time, filmmakers will receive an email containing a theme and the “key” which includes items, elements, and techniques that must appear in your film (this ensures everyone starts at the same time).
• Please note: CineVic’s edition of this event is intended for participants from Vancouver Island or the Gulf Islands. For information on how to participate in other editions in your region, visit www.the48filmfest.ca
Friday June 11th 2021 @ 12:00pm
Key is revealed + filming begins:
Friday June 11th 2021 @ 6:00pm
Film submission deadline:
Sunday June 13th 2021 @ 6:00pm
Friday June 18th 2021 (details here >>)
$25 CineVic Members
Sorry, registrations are now closed.
Covid Compliance links to review:
The 48 Film Festival COVID-19 Info Session (video) >>
Worksafe BC protocols for Motion Picture and Television Production >>