Please note this is archived information from the 2017 program. For current program information please click here >>
CineVic returns as a recommending partner in the 2017 Telefilm Micro-Budget Production Program! Production Members can apply for up to $127,500 for feature film and web series projects. Deadline: January 31, 2017
CineVic's 2014 recommended project, Connor Gaston’s The Devout, was successfully funded through this program and we would love to help another project get funded! This program provides a maximum of $127,500 to selected feature film and web projects. Please visit the Micro-Budget website to gather all the information, download the updated guidelines, and read the very helpful FAQ.
Some important points to keep in mind when developing your application:
• This program has two stages:
Recommendation stage: Applicants apply to CineVic, and we select one feature film and/or one web project to recommend to Telefilm. The selected applicant(s) will be required to submit all of their materials through a microsite as outlined in the guidelines.
Application stage: If the project recommended by CineVic is determined eligible by Telefilm, the creative team will then be asked to incorporate a company which will apply directly to Telefilm through the eTelefilm portal.
• The maximum contribution amount is set at $127,500 for feature film and web projects over 75 minutes. The contribution amount for web projects that are under 75 minutes in total length will be prorated based on the total number of minutes of the project, each full 10-minute segment providing access to $15,000 for a maximum contribution of $112,500. All projects must be distributed on one or more digital platforms and their maximum budget must not be higher than $250,000.
• An amount of $7,500 of Telefilm’s total contribution must be reserved for the hiring of a digital marketing expert. Selected creative teams will be invited to attend a digital marketing bootcamp to be held in Spring 2017. At least 15% of Telefilm’s total contribution amount (excluding the amount reserved for the hiring of the digital marketing expert) must be used for promotion and distribution expenses. All projects supported through this Program must be closed-captioned and available in described video, regardless of the distribution platform. Sufficient funds must be reserved for these elements in the project’s production budget.
• CineVic will once again provide in-kind equipment rental for projects that are selected by Telefilm and go into production. Therefore you may include a realistic amount of in-kind equipment rental from CineVic as both revenue and expense items in your budget.
• Telefilm has recently outlined a priority of achieving "a representative and diversified feature film portfolio that better reflects gender, cultural diversity and Canada’s Indigenous communities" with a goal to reflect "gender parity in each of the key roles of director, writer and producer" by 2020. Please keep this in mind when assembling your team and developing your application.
• ALL key members of the creative team (writer, director, producer) must be current Production Members of CineVic. The key members of all recommended projects must be emerging talent i.e. they must already have produced, directed and/or written at least one short film (i.e. 30 minutes or less) but must not have produced, directed or written a feature length film (i.e. 75 minutes or more).
• The list of required materials in your application can be found on page 4 of the guidelines under section 1.1.3 Microsite Presentation. You will need to compile these items onto a standalone website and submit a link with your application. Please note, in addition to these required materials listed in Telefilm's guidelines, applicants will also be required to submit complete scripts or documentary treatments to CineVic at the first stage.
• Please note the NEW deadline for applications to CineVic is Tuesday January 31, 2017 at 5:00 pm. To apply, simply send a link to your microsite containing all the required items to [email protected]
• CineVic will make our selection and may offer feedback to the recommended applicant who will have approximately one week to perfect their application before we submit it to Telefilm.